Friday, February 24, 2012

Team Jay is going to crush the Oscars

Toph and I had our Academy Awards fantasy draft today while I was supposed to be learning about defamation or some other business law bullshit. And I could not be happier with the results. As you may recall, the roster looks like this:

  • 3 Full Length Motion Pictures
  • 1 Short Film
  • 1 Documentary
  • 1 Foreign Language Film
  • 2 Actors
  • 2 Actresses
  • 1 Director
Here's the starting lineup for Team Jay (it's also my only lineup because there's no subs) in order of how I drafted them (we did a snake draft so every set is the last pick of one round and the first pick of the following round): 
  • Hugo &The Artist: I'm baffled as to how I was able to get both of these. If you recall, when I made the play-along-at-home rules I said you couldn't pick both because it'd be unfair. It's unfair. They are going to win a combined 6-8 awards. 
  • Christopher Plummer & The Tsunami and the Cherry Tree: Two more wins, basically for sure. Plummer killed in Beginners and if he doesn't win, I've addressed that (see below). The Tsunami documentary has to win just because of its sentimental nature, right?
  • Rise of the Planet of the Apes & Viola Davis: The Apes are winning for visual effects. Bank on that.  Viola Davis has a decent shot at lead actress. 
  • Paradise Lost 3 & Max von Sydow: Just in case Plummer doesn't win, vox Sydow will. His character doesn't say a word during the whole movie because he was traumatized by World War 2. So I got that category on lockdown. Paradise Lost 3 is counting as my documentary because Tsunami is technically also a short film. 
  • Footnote & Woody Allen: I needed a foreign language film and Toph had already grabbed the one that's going to win (A Separation) so I went with the Jews (Footnote is from Israel). Woody Allen won Best Director at the Golden Globes, so that's reason enough for me to draft him. 
  • Rooney Mara: She has no chance. But there's this: 
Winner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment