Thursday, November 17, 2016

I Miss Asher Roth

I am a white millennial male from the suburban Northeast United States. From 2009-2012, nobody in the hip-hop world really existed for my demographic, or at least none of them succeeded quite like Asher Roth.
Asher Roth is a great Throwback Thursday, because as I sit here at my desk and pretend to work, I am reminded of late high school and early college when I could essentially just coast through life and do quite literally whatever the fuck I felt like doing.

Now I have to pay rent and cable and car insurance and shit, and all I want to do is fill up a liter mug with rum and coke and play NHL 2017.

Let's take a trip down memory lane. In keeping with the theme of "drinking aggressively like 20 year olds" my ultimate goal here would be to have a #TBT Asher Roth power hour. But part of growing up is being lazy and not doing the things that you want to do, so we'll see if that actually ends up being a thing that I do.

If I were to get a burst of energy and some free time, here's a few tracks from each of Asher's albums/mixtapes/EPs that I'd most certainly include.

The Greenhouse Effect (Volume 1) - June 2008

  •  Roth Boys
  • Cannon
  • Battle Me
  • Cartoon Chick
Asleep In The Bread Aisle - April 2009
  • Lark On My Go-Kart
  • I Love College
  • As I Em
Seared Foie Gras With Quince & Cranberry - March 2010
  • Toni Braxton
  • Fuck The Money
  • Hot Wings
(Editor's note: I didn't like this mixtape as much as I liked the rest of his work.)

The Rawth EP - December 2010
  • Gotta Get Up
  • Enforce The Law
  • In My Mind
  • Coming And Going
Pabst & Jazz (December 2011)
  • Pabst and Jazz
  • Choices
  • In The Kitchen
  • Useless
  • More Cowbell
  • Common Knowledge
  • Hard Times
  • Ampersand
  • Get By
  • Charlie Chaplin
  • Dope Shit
(Editor's note: this is probably in my Mount Rushmore of favorite pieces of music ever.)

The Greenhouse Effect (Volume 2) - June 2013
RetroHash - April 2014

I don't really know what happened, but I really fell off the Roth Wagon sometime in 2012 or early 2013. I'm sure we listened to these two in college, but I really don't have any name recognition. We'd obviously have to include a handful of tracks from both of these and his upcoming Red Hot Revival, but I guess I'd have to do a little bit of extra listening to narrow the list down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment