People forget that Shea Weber was on the Flyers for a brief period in July 2012, when he signed a 14-year/$110 million offer sheet. This was the pinnacle of Paul Holmgren's tenure of Flyera, and we dodged a goddamn bullet when Nashville elected to match.
If they had not matched and Weber came to Philly, we would be lamenting two things right now:
- He stinks and he's old and overpaid
- We would have had to give up a SHIT TON in compensation to Nashville
That compensation would have included the following players:
- Samuel Morin (2013 1st round)
- Travis Sanheim (2014 1st round)
- Ivan Provorov (2015 1st round)
- Jake Bean (or whoever, this year's 1st round pick)
The salary issue would also have prevented (or at least affected) the signings/extensions of Wayne Simmonds, Michael Del Zotto, Sean Couturier, Jake Voracek, Michael Raffl, and Brayden Schenn.
Thanks to Baby Jesus that Ron Hextall is in charge of the ship now.