Friday, May 27, 2016

Let's Look At The Non-North American World Cup Rosters

(Editor's note: they are rolling out the final rosters over the course of the day, and the USA/Canada/North America rosters won't be released until I'm gone for the weekend. We all know and love/hate the guys already, so let's look at some foreigners in the meantime.)

Sweden

Forwards - I feel comfortable projecting: their top nine
Eriksson - Backstrom - ForsbergSedin - Sedin - HornqvistHagelin - Zetterberg - Steen
Maybe move the wingers around a bit, but that's the unit. All top-six NHL guys (mostly top-line NHL guys), and I somehow didn't even include Gabriel Landeskog.

Defense: I feel comfortable projecting: their top six
Karlsson - HedmanEkman-Larsson - KronwallStralman - Hjalmarsson
Ho hum, just a top pairing featuring a perennial Norris candidate and a future perennial Norris candidate and a bottom pair featuring one of the horses of a three-time Cup winner.

Goalie - I feel comfortable projecting: Henrik Lundqvist is going to be washed up by the time this tournament ends

Bottom line - It would be really REALLY fun to coach Team Sweden this Fall.

Finland 

Forwards - I feel comfortable projecting: their top six
Laine - Koivu - GranlundFilppula - Barkov - Komarov
The same top six that netted them a silver medal at the World Championships, plus Valtteri Filppula (such a pain in the ass of a name).

Defense - I feel comfortable projecting: their crunch-time top pair
Maatta - Ristolainen
They will probably split up their top two d-men for the majority of the time, but that's a solid pairing and they're both only 21 so I'd expect them to be carrying the load for Finland for a while.

Goalie - I feel comfortable projecting: Rask/Rinne will both play well enough to make Bruins and Predators fans want to throw up all over themselves

Bottom line - Not enough depth on offense or defense to make a lot of noise.

Russia

Forwards - I feel comfortable projecting: the most talented top-heavy top six in the tourney
Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Malkin
Tarasenko - Datsyuk - Kucherov 
Bonus projection! They're going to keep the Pan-Dad-Ship line together
Panarin - Dadonov - Shipyachov
Defense - I feel comfortable projecting: this unit is the complete opposite of their forward group

Goalie - I feel comfortable projecting: whether it's Bobrovsky, Varlamov, or Vasilevskiy, they'll be fine

Bottom line - That top nine would make me cry if my team had to play against them in an elimination game.

Czech Republic

Forwards - I feel comfortable projecting: (see below)
Defense - I feel comfortable projecting: (see below)
Goalie - I feel comfortable projecting: (see below)

Bottom line - #LetsGoFlyers
Voracek - Krejci - PastrnakGudas - SustrNeuvirth 

No comments:

Post a Comment