Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Quick Flyers-Oilers Recap (And Lineup Volume 5)

I stayed up for Monday's game and I wanted to get a quick nap in last night between work and the Flyers' game. I laid down around 7 and I didn't wake up until 4.

But it looks like I didn't miss much! Here's a few quick thoughts:

1. Woof
Not good. As I was walking into the office, a co-worker said, "Man, what's wrong with those Flyers?" I just kind of nodded and grumbled.


2. One Bright Spot From The Box Score
In Couturier's extended absence, the Laughton-Read-Simmonds line has really thrived. Last night on my way home from work I was listening to 94.1 (because there was a commercial on 97.5 - I'm usually a Fanatic guy) and a caller legitimately said this:



I wouldn't go that far, primarily because Claude Giroux is the perfect captain. But Simmonds deserves the A and this line does do a lot of grit/heart-type things. Poke checks in the offensive zone, nice passes to set up good attempts, and a lot of intangibles.

3. Another Bright Spot From The Box Score
Nugent-Hopkins and Hall were both the first pick in the NHL Draft. It's not like the Flyers are out here giving up goals to scrub players (scrub teams maybe, but the talent is there).

This is a big spin zone point for me: yeah, we stink, and our defense largely looks incapable of playing professional hockey, but at least other teams are better than us? I don't even fucking know.

4. Flyers Lineup Volume 5 (Coots Back, Bellemare and Medvedev Still Out)

Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Read - Laughton - Simmonds
Gagner - Couturier - Schenn
White - Vandevelde - Umberger/Lecavalier (this will obviously be Bellemare's line when he returns)

Streit - Schultz
Del Zotto - Schenn
Gudas by himself
Brandon Manning (scratched)

The forward lines will be fine once everyone comes back. The defense pairings are completely fucked. We will be able to move Streit and Schenn (although I feel strongly that we should keep Luke, and I've been shouting that from the rooftops for a while now). We won't be able to move Schultz or MacDonald (remember him?). Gudas and Manning need work, but more than anything they need to be paired with someone who is better than what we currently have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment